The Diana Award is an award -winning charity that was founded as a legacy to Diana, Princess of Wales’ belief that young people have the power to change the world for the better. Since 1999, the Diana Award has recognised over 42,000 young people who have made a positive difference to their community. By shining the spotlight on these young people with the Diana Award, it establishes them as role models to other young people. But receiving a Diana Award is only the beginning. Through the Diana Network and our anti-bullying and mentoring programmes, we engage, encourage and motivate young people to keep up the good work!
The Diana Award does three things:
- We encourage young people for their contribution to their communities
- We empower young people to achieve their full potential
- We engage young people in social action to make a difference in the lives of others
We believe that young people:
- Should be celebrated for their contribution to society
- Should be given the opportunity to grow and develop
- Should be engaged in social action as early in life as possible.
The Diana Award has four programmes for young people.
1. The Diana Award Young people receive the Diana Award for being one of the following: Active Campaigners, Anti-bullying Champions, Champion Fundraisers, Champion Volunteers, Courageous Citizens and International Award. Watch this short video on the Awards Programme…
2. The Diana Network opens doors to work experience, volunteering and campaigning whilst training young people in employability and social action skills. Within this programme also sits our Inspire Days which give young people confidence through creativity and employability skills, our Young Reporters Scheme is a platform for young people to have their voices heard on issues that are important to them.
3. The Diana Anti-bullying Ambassadors Programme engages young people to take a stand against bullying. We do this by giving them the knowledge, confidence and support to run anti-bullying activities. For more information please visit our website: Anti-Bullying Pro
4. The Diana Training and Mentoring Programme supports disadvantaged young people in schools to reach their full potential through weekly sessions with a Diana Award Youth Mentor. Our Youth Mentors are supported by a Progress+ Mentor who passes on career advice and guidance.
Watch this video for more information on our Anti-bullying and Mentoring Programmes
Proud of our Impact
Every year over 8000 young people are involved in our programmes and every year, we are proud of the impact we make in their lives! In 2014…
- 91% of young people feel encouraged to do more because of the Diana Award
- 94% of young people feel more confident that they can make change happen through the support of the Diana Award
- 85% of young people feel included in positive social action
For further information about our work or to partner with us in delivering our objectives, please contact our CEO, Tessy Ojo at: Tessy.Ojo@diana-award.org.uk or ringing 0207 628 7499
© Ian Jones