Check out our FAQ’s below.
1. How do I nominate a young person for a Diana Award or a Legacy Award?
To make your nomination for a Diana Award or a Legacy Award please go to www.diana-award.org.uk/nominate Please note that The Diana Award does not accept posted or email nominations. Your nomination will be submitted as a nomination for a Diana Award and, provided the Legacy Award section is complete, the same nomination will also be submitted for a Legacy Award. Please note that it is not mandatory to nominate for a Legacy Award and if your nomination is unsuccessful for a Legacy Award it may still be eligible for a Diana Award.
2. When do the nominations open and close?
The Diana Award nomination period opens on 18th May 2017 and closes in March 2018 (deadline to be announced in Autumn/Winter 2017). That means that you can submit your nominations at any point between those two dates. Keep in mind, if you would like your nominee (if successful) to be awarded at an INSPIRE Series event in your region you must submit your nomination by the regional deadlines which can be found in FAQ #4
3. What is a Legacy Award?
The Diana Award will present 20 exceptional young people, aged 9-18 with a ‘Legacy Award’ in memory of Princess Diana. Recipients of the Legacy Award will be selected from 2018 Diana Award Holders, already recognised for their selfless commitment to transforming the lives of others across the world; they will be leaders, visionaries and role models able to inspire and mobilise new generations to serve their communities and make a positive change to the world, as Princess Diana believed they could. As well as receiving the Legacy Award, recipients will have access to a unique development programme which will provide them with the opportunity to enhance their skills in four key areas; leadership, community development, social entrepreneurship and technology for good.
4. What is INSPIRE Series?
INSPIRE Series will see the Diana Award team travelling across the UK to meet and award as many of our 2017-2018 successful nominees as possible in Diana, Princess of Wales’ name. The Diana Award is working to provide an INSPIRE Series event in each region in the UK and, if your nomination is successful, we hope to invite your nominee(s) to an INSPIRE Series event near you. At these events young people will be given their award in an official ceremony and participate in a day of inspiration and skills development to support and empower them to keep up the amazing work and achieve their full potential. This day will also be open to other young people who haven’t received a Diana Award but wish to be more active in their communities and learn about social action and who we hope will be inspired by those receiving awards. For further information on INSPIRE Series please visit INSPIRE Series page
5. When should I submit my nomination by in order for my nominee to be in with a chance of attending their regional INSPIRE series event?
The Diana Award is working to provide an INSPIRE Series event in each region in the UK and, if your nomination is successful, we hope to invite your nominee(s) to an INSPIRE Series event near you. Dates will be listed below as they are confirmed and can also be found on the main INSPIRE Series page here. *INSPIRE Series event tickets may be limited for successful group nominations. REGIONAL EVENTS AND REGIONAL NOMINATION DEADLINES
|REGION||INSPIRE SERIES Month||TO BE IN WITH A CHANCE OF ATTENDING THIS REGIONAL EVENT PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR NOMINATION BY THIS DATE|
|Scotland||December 2017||2nd October 2017|
|Wales||December 2017||2nd October 2017|
|N. Ireland||Spring/Summer 2018||March 2018|
|London, South East and Eastern||Autumn/Winter 2018||March 2018|
|Yorkshire and Humber, North East and North West||Autumn/Winter 2018||March 2018|
|South West||Spring/Summer 2018||March 2018|
|East Midlands and West Midlands||Autumn/Winter 2018||March 2018|
|Final deadline for all 2017/2018 nominations March 2018 (TBC)|
6. If my region’s INSPIRE event deadline has already passed, can I still nominate?
Yes, of course and we would love it if you did! If you miss the regional event deadline or the event altogether, still send in your nomination. If your nomination is successful, we will send you your successful nominee’s certificate and award package by post. We will also email you ideas of how you can celebrate your new Diana Award Holder’s fantastic achievement in an in-school/organisation celebration. All 2017-2018 Award Holders will be featured on our National Roll of Honour to be released in July 2018.
7. What region am I in?
If you are nominating from outside of the UK please enter your country in the country or region field.
If you are in the UK please see the map below with the regions listed. If you are unsure what region you qualify for please email firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Is there set criteria for the nomination?
Yes, the young person(s) must be aged 9-18 years at the time of your nomination and must have carried out the activity for 12 months or more. You will need to demonstrate how the young person(s) have gone above and beyond their average peer and what social impact they have made in their community. For full details on the eligibility of young people for a Diana Award or a Legacy Award please review our Nomination Guide which can be found on the Nomination page. If you still have any queries please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
9. Can you nominate more than one person?
We accept nominations for The Diana Award for individuals or groups of young people. You can also make multiple nominations for different groups and individuals who have been carrying out different activities that you are hoping to celebrate with The Diana Award. Please note unfortunately groups are not eligible for the Legacy Award, however if you feel there is an individual in your group who shines out please do nominate them separately for The Diana Award/Legacy Award.
10. Is there a lot of paper work involved in nominating someone?
We have tried to make the form as simple as possible, however, we need enough information to be able to tell how truly special the nominee is! In order for nominations to be eligible we will need: a completed nomination form, one testimonial from someone that has benefited from the work of the nominee and the contact details of an adult that has known the nominee(s) in a professional capacity i.e. not a family member and someone other than the nominator. In addition, if you are nominating for the Legacy Award you will be asked to complete an additional section at the end of the form to support your nomination. Please see FAQ #3 and our Nomination Guidelines for further details.
11. What happens once I’ve submitted a nomination?
You will receive an e-mail notification confirming receipt once you have submitted your nomination so you can rest assured it has been received and is in the queue to be processed by our panel.
12. When will I hear back on the decision of the nomination?
1. The Diana Award and INSPIRES Series: The Diana Award is working to provide an INSPIRE Series event in each region in the UK and, if your nomination is successful, we hope to invite your nominee(s) to an INSPIRE Series event near you. If your regional INSPIRE Series date has been confirmed you will be contacted at least four weeks prior to the event informing you of the outcome of your nomination. If your regional INSPIRE Series date has not been confirmed or you miss your regional deadline you will be contacted at the following times:
- If you nominate by 1st December 2017 you will be informed before the Christmas School Holidays 2017
- If you nominate by the March 2018 deadline you will be informed in April 2018
2. The Legacy Award: If you have put forward your young person for a Legacy Award you will be contacted regarding the first stage of assessment and whether they have been shortlisted in April 2018. We then hope to have a final outcome of Legacy Award nomination assessments later in April 2018.
13. Why would my nomination be unsuccessful?
Your nomination for The Diana Award may be unsuccessful in several instances examples as follows:
- If the nominee(s) do not comply with the set criteria e.g. fall outside of the age bracket or have not been carrying out sustained activity for a period of 12 months
- If any of the answers to the questions within the nomination form do not pass the scoring process carried out by the assessment panel e.g. if there is not clear evidence of the impact the nominee(s) have had on their community.
If your nomination for The Legacy Award is unsuccessful your nomination may still be successful for The Diana Award. You will be contacted regarding the outcome of your nomination in all instances.
14. If successful what do the nominees(s) receive as part of the Diana Award or the Legacy Award?
1.The Diana Award The Diana Award is working to provide an INSPIRE Series event in each region in the UK and, if your nomination is successful, we hope to invite your nominee(s)* to an INSPIRE Series event near you. Each nominee will receive a personalised Diana Award certificate. If your nominee(s) attend an INSPIRE Series event this will be presented to them in an official awards ceremony otherwise they will be sent to you by post. Successful nominees are also presented with an invitation to Althorp House; Princess Diana's childhood home. These invitations are gifted to Diana Award Holders in kind by Princess Diana's brother Earl Spencer in recognition of their continuation of Diana's legacy. *The regional event tickets may be limited for successful group nominations. 2.The Legacy Award If your nomination is successful for the Legacy Award your young person will be invited to the Inaugural Legacy Awards Ceremony in London.
15. What happens at an INSPIRE Series event?
Please visit the INSPIRE Series page for full details.
16. What if my Award Holder(s) can’t attend the INSPIRE Series event?
Don’t fret! If your successful nominee is unable to attend an INSPIRE Series event we will send you (the nominator) their Diana Award by post. See #5 above for more information.
17. What will I receive as a nominator?
If your nomination is successful, you will receive a resource pack to help you contact local press, MP and host an award celebration to recognise your inspirational Award Holder(s) via email. Your organisation's name will also be displayed on the your Award Holder's certificate, in the Diana Award Roll of Honour and all of the Diana Award's press releases related to successful Diana Award nominations for the term of 2017/2018.
Do you know an inspiring young person you want to nominate for a Diana Award?
Our mission is to inspire and recognise social action in young people.
© 2016 The Diana Award. The Diana Award is a registered charity (1117288 / SC0141915) and a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales number 5739137.